Neutrality vs Empathy

     During my group discussion, we discussed neutrality and empathy. Neutrality refers to not caring for what people have to say. It is a neutral position where no sides are being taken. Whereas empathy is caring for someone and wanting to listen to the problem. Someone neutral does not choose a side in a conflict nor do they say their opinion. They can appear as uncharismatic meanwhile someone empathetic will give their opinion and side with someone in a conflict. Typically, empathetic people are more approachable. My best friend is very neutral when it comes to conflicts. She does not voice her opinions because she does not want to get involved or she does not believe it is her problem. Therefore, lots of my friends do not go to her for advice if there is a conflict. However, I am very empathetic. I always try and help resolve conflicts by listening and giving input, but I have found myself choosing sides after listening to both sides of the story. Typically my friends will come to me if they have an issue so I can give them my input.

Comments

Popular Posts